For a person to become a perfect believer, he has to have Taqwa (i.e. piety).
Taqwa is gained when a person is purified from spiritual maladies like pride, malice, etc. This is achieved by making zikr, reciting lots of Durood Shareef daily, and protecting the seven parts of the body from sin:
The seven parts of the body are as follows;
- THE EYES: Casting lustful glances at Na-Mahram Men or Women is committing adultery of the eye. This makes the heart filthy and ruins it. Without sincere taubah (repentance) ones Imaan can be ruined. Viewing of pornographic material, photographs, television, films, etc. is also adultery of the eyes.
- THE TONGUE: Backbiting and speaking lies destroys the heart. If it becomes a habit, it ruins a person’s Imaan, unless a person repents (i.e. makes taubah) sincerely.
- THE EARS: Listening to music: This is very harmful as it breeds hypocrisy in the heart, and it leads to immodesty.
- THE STOMACH: If one morsel of haraam food enters the stomach then the dua’s of such a person is not accepted for 40 days. One should abstain totally from all haraam transactions, especially that of ribaa (interest).
- THE HANDS: To unjustly take away someone’s possession even if it is just worth half a cent. One will have to repay the oppressed person with 700 Maqbool (accepted) Namaaz’s of his on the Day of Judgement. To hit one’s children over the limit is cruelty, the result of which is very disastrous in both the worlds.
- THE LEGS: One should totally abstain from going to evil places.
- THE PRIVATE PARTS: One should protect one’s private parts and totally abstain from adultery (zina). Just as music and wine are causes of earthquakes, so does adultery. It also causes the harmful disease aids.
Hence one has to achieve Taqwa to safeguard one’s Imaan and to be saved from the calamities of this world and the hereafter.
The following three deeds are prescribed by our great Ulama:
- Daily Kitaab Reading – Mainly Fazaail-e-Sadaqaat (virtues of charity).
- Remembering death – the grave, judgement day, crossing of the pul siraat etc.
- Zikr- Istighfaar, First and Third kalimah and abundant Durood Shareef and Tilaawat of the Quraan Shareef